Get A Job Fast: The Best Way
by C.S. Clarke, Ph.D.
When you have to have a job fast, the #1 way to get it is through a temporary agency or staffing agency. Remember, though, the method works primarily for medium to large cities, since small towns and rural areas do not have enough jobs to make temp agencies profitable. Even small cities may be unable to sustain an agency. (If you want to try temping and there are no temporary agencies in your area, try regular employment agencies and ask if they make temporary placements or provide any kind of contingent employment.)
Temporary agencies are for almost everyone and serve every kind of employer, worker, industry and profession. In some cases, you will need a specialized agency, such as for example, an agency that specializes in medical personnel. In many, many cases, you could be employed before the end of the day through a temp agency.
What kind of employee uses a temporary agency?
1. Secretaries use them.
2. Doctors and nurses use them.
3. Lawyers and paralegals use them.
4. IT Pros use them.
5. Freelance consultants use them.
6. Building tradespeople use them.
7. You name it and there is probably a temporary agency that covers it.
What are the advantages of using a temporary agency?
1. Not only can you get a job fast, but more often than not you’ll get a permanent job offer after they see what you can do. A great deal of the time the reason for the temp assignment is that the organization needs someone to fill a permanent spot that has just opened and there’s been no time to find a candidate. You end up with the inside track.
2. Because it is a temp job, there’s no judgement if you look for other permanent employment -- you don’t have to hide your job search as you may when you have a regular job.
3. You can ask for reassignment anytime, without getting a rep as a job hopper. It’s a temp job!
4. You can go for long contract jobs -- sometimes for years.
5. When you find how much you like the freedom combined with the steadiness of employment assignments, you may decide on “temp-ing” as your fundamental work style.
6. Many temp and staffing agencies now have benefits programs, so you don’t necessarily have to have permanent, full time employment to have health insurance and a retirement plan. This is especially true for staffing agencies that represent long term contractors.
7. Many consider temp and staffing agencies as the primary employers of the future.
What are the disadvantages of using a temporary agency?
1. Income is good, but not usually as good as you’d get in a permanent position.
2. In terms of sheer numbers of jobs, regular full-time, permanent employment has the vast majority. If you have a very good network and good resume, and you can wait a little, you may be better off skipping the temp work.
3. Many people are stressed by the seeming uncertainty of temp or contract work.
4. Some employers -- not many -- are leery of employees who have a history of temp work, though contract work doesn’t seem to carry any stigma.
5. Only some, not all, temp and staffing agencies provide benefits such as health insurance. That means you’ll have to pay your own, thus lowering your income.
Where can I go?
Following is a sample list of websites (courtesy of dmoz.org) to get you started investigating temp agencies. Remember that in dealing with those below or with local temp agencies you may need to actually go to their offices and get interviewed, fill out paperwork, etc. (with the exception of Net-Temps). In fact, even if a local agency doesn't insist on it, you should visit the office just to make sure you are dealing with a legitimate staffing service. Local agencies and local branches of national agencies are your best bet because the people who are in your local area are the ones who know the local employers.
- Adecco International - Provides personnel services to businesses worldwide including temporary help, placement of permanent employees, outsourcing, and training and testing of temporary and permanent workers. Includes an investor page.
- Allegis Group - Offers contract services in a range of industries.
- Comforce - Provider of staffing, consulting and outsourcing solutions focused on the information technology, telecommunications, professional, technical, and financial market sectors. 50 offices throughout the US and Canada.
- Dunhill Staffing Systems - Specializes in financial, administrative, office, clerical, information technology, health care, sales, marketing, technical, manufacturing, and engineering. Offices throughout North America.
- Edgewater Technology Inc - Provides diversified staffing services to businesses, providing healthcare providers, professional and service organizations and governmental agencies with clerks, light industrial staffs, secretaries, receptionist/switchboard operators, typists, data entry operators, cashiers, medical/legal transcriptionists, physical and occupational therapists, programmers, drafters, designers and accounting personnel. (Nasdaq: EDGW).
- Expert Access - Personal service that finds and screens consultants. Specializes in finding consultants in the fields of Training, E-learning, and Organization Development.
- Express Personnel Services - Provides employment and staffing solutions, including evaluation and direct hire, flexible staffing, temporary help, facility staffing and executive placement. Has over 425 locations throughout the U.S. and worldwide.
- Hays Personnel - Pan-European staffing agency. Typically has over 40,000 open positions across a broad variety of job functions and industries.
- Insource Solutions - Offering temporary, temp-to-hire and direct placement staffing services in an array of industries.
- Judge.com Inc - Provides information technology and engineering professionals on a contract and permanent basis in major technology centers located throughout the United States. (Nasdaq: JUDG).
- Kelly Services - Worldwide leader in the Staffing Industry for over fifty years. From engineers to accountants -- attorneys to desktop publishers -- home health care to clinical research -- Kelly places people of all skill levels in virtually every industry across the globe.
- Manpower Inc. - Provides staffing services and employment opportunities worldwide.
- The Personnel Department - Provides temporary and permanent placement services in Canada (Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton), the US (Salt Lake City, Portland) and Australia (Sydney).
- Randstad Staffing - International staffing agency servicing office, industrial, professional, creative, and technical fields.
- Spherion - Operates more than 1,000 offices throughout North America, Europe, Australia, and Asia. Has specialized business groups ranging from technology to outsourcing to executive search and staffing.
- Staff Service - Provides general temporary and permanent recruitment services. Offices in China, Japan, UK, US, and Australia.
- StaffMark - Career opportunities and human resource solutions in office, administration, light industrial, desktop publishing, and training. Offices throughout North America.
- Todays Staffing - Provides permanent and temporary clerical, professional, and legal staffing in the U.S. and Canada.
- Westaff - Staffing services for temporary, temp-to-hire, direct hire and on-location positions. Operates more than 370 offices in the US, UK, Australia, New Zealand, Norway and Denmark.
- Yoh Company - Global provider of integrated staffing, information and managed services.